Friday, September 9, 2011

Taking On the Great White Shark Illustration

Maybe I watched Jaws while I was still too impressionable.   Maybe I have fed into the hysteria surrounding this fish.  Maybe great white sharks are just really scary.  Whatever the reasons, this fish terrifies me, even in pictures.  Searching for source photos was not enjoyable.  I admit that I asked my husband to do some of the legwork.  He was gracious enough to find a dozen shots without much gore. Within that group, were three almost cheerful poses.  One was the great cartoon shark from "Nemo".  Did I mention my husband is very funny?  I'm just grateful that he didn't set it for my screen-saver.

So I had two great shots consult for anatomy.  In profile the great white frowns, but head on he smiles.  Is this to lull prey into thinking he's friendly?  If so it doesn't work for long.  Here's my pencil drawing:
























I switched to an 8B pencil, to save time adjusting post scan.  I really like the character of the heavier line. 

No comments:

Post a Comment